Silver Palate Cookbook Lemon Chicken Recipe | The Original
Posted on: August 20, 2015 | Posted in: Recipes
Lemons remind us of all things cool, fresh, and sparkling. They just naturally heighten flavors by helping to awaken your taste buds. You’ll find the best flavor and the most juice in small, round or oval, smooth-skinned Eureka or Lisbon lemons. The Meyer lemon, which is believed to be a hybrid of a lemon and an orange, is less acidic than the more common Eureka and Lisbon varieties, and therefore sweeter. Store lemons at room temperature and you will obtain more juice from them, unless you’re planning to keep them for some time.
The Silver Palate Cookbook’s Lemon Chicken
6 or more portions
This chicken has a crisp golden crust and the zing of fresh lemon. It’s great hot, and also terrific cold, making it perfect picnic fare.
2 chickens (2 1/2 pounds each), cut into quarters
2 cups fresh lemon juice
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup corn oil
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Chicken Stock
2 lemons, sliced paper-thin
- Combine the chicken pieces and lemon juice in a bowl just large enough to hold them comfortably. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain the chicken thoroughly and pat dry. Fill a plastic bag with the flour, salt, paprika, and black pepper, and shake well to mix. Put 2 pieces of chicken into the bag at a time and shake, coating completely. Shake off any excess flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Heat the corn oil in a frying pan or cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Fry the chicken pieces, a few at a time, until well browned and crisp. This will take about 10 minutes per batch.
- Arrange the browned chicken in a single layer in a large shallow baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with the lemon zest and brown sugar. Mix the chicken stock and lemon extract together and pour around the chicken pieces. Set a thin lemon slice on top of each piece of chicken.
- Bake the chicken until tender, 50 minutes.