10 Best Things to Do This Fall in Saugatuck
“Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.”
~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
~ Albert Camus
Saugatuck embodies the absolute best of everything autumn has to offer! Thanks to Lake Michigan, the warm weather lingers right along our coastline. This means our summer extends well beyond Labor Day. The days of September and October are long — ideal for taking sunlit walks along a sandy beach or packing a picnic before a picture perfect sunset. The fall evenings in Saugatuck are crisp — wonderful for cozying up in a favorite sweater with the one you love the most. Our tree-lined streets, paths, and river become resplendent in colors — bright orange, deep red, magnificent yellow … the entire landscape bursting with beauty. Everyone eager to celebrate the dazzling change of season.
There’s so much happening this fall in Saugatuck, Michigan!
In order to help you sift through all the options, we’ve put together a list of our 10 fall favorites.
- Take a hike amidst the towering dunes at the Saugatuck Dunes State Park. Watch for birds and wildlife and let the sounds of the Lake lure you out to the beach. Walk miles more along the singing sands.
- Grab a blanket and pack a picnic … prepare yourself for the best sunset. Fill your basket with fresh salads, sandwiches, and sweets from Farm House Deli. Or, pick up the most amazing fried chicken, biscuits, greens, and pimento cheese from The Southerner.
- Lose track of time while picking apples at Crane’s. Insider’s tip: honeycrisp season is particularly popular. Try visiting on a weekday and avoid some of the crowd! Stop into the Pie Pantry and Restaurant for a cup of cider and a fresh cider doughnut. Head to Virtue Farms for a flight of European style ciders like you’ve never tasted before.
- Plan a night out on the town. Get tickets for Paula Cole or Jeff Daniels at the Saugatuck Center for the Arts. Be sure and visit the exhibition space while and there!
- Get inspired during weekend Gallery Strolls throughout September and October in Saugatuck and Douglas.
- Take a short, scenic drive and visit each of the galleries on the Blue Coast Artist Tour
- Speaking of tours, why not taste your way through a tour at Fenn Valley Winery, Saugatuck Brewing, or Virtue Cider?
- Plan your own wine tasting tour and visit 3 (or more?!) wineries within an hour of Saugatuck. More in the mood for craft beer? Saugatuck, Holland, and Grand Rapids have plenty to choose from!
- Run the lakeshore and country roads of Saugatuck in the Mt. Baldhead Challenge. There’s a 5k appropriate for all levels and an innovative 15k for those who are ready to climb the 302 stairs up the dune!
- Watch the colors change on a River Cruise out to Lake Michigan on the Star of Saugatuck. Rent a kayak, paddle board, pontoon, or vintage electric boat and explore the nooks and crannies of the Kalamazoo.
Reserve your getaway to Wickwood Inn today and see why so many people love to visit Saugatuck in the fall. No matter what your mood, we’ll help you plan the idyllic autumn day.