Experience Grand Rapids For The Day
See Grand Rapids, Michigan On Your Easy Day Trip From Saugatuck
Grand Rapids is a wonderful destination for a day trip, expecially for the foodies who stay at Wickwood Inn. Sometimes guests at Wickwood Inn barely want to leave the Inn. And, who can blame them? There’s true joy in unwinding, relaxing, and simply staying put. Of course, Wickwood’s perfect location makes it easy to access all things throughout Saugatuck. Simply walk out our front door and shop, dine, be inspired by local art, hop on a boat and sail away. There’s endless opportunities just outside our door. But, when you have the luxury of time, explore our nearest big city. And, Grand Rapids is happening right now! With art, museums, shops, restaurants, breweries and public gardens, excitement is in the air, everywhere.
Here are a few suggestions of what to do and see when you journey from Saugatuck to Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Grand Rapids Things To Do
- Frederick Meijer Gardens | Experience masterpieces of art and nature that will delight your senses. Discover one of the nation’s premier horticultural display gardens and sculpture parks. During the summer, see one of the incredible concerts at the outdoor Amphitheater.
- Grand Rapids Art Museum (GRAM) | GRAM has grown to include more than 5,000 works of art. This includes American and European 19th and 20th century painting and sculpture and more than 3,000 works on paper.
- Grand Rapids Public Museum | The oldest museum in Michigan has arguably the broadest and most diverse collection in the state. Plus, this museum routinely brings in traveling national and international exhibits throughout the year.
- John Ball Zoo |This 103 acre zoo attracts more than 500,000 visitors annually. John Ball Zoo inspires community engagement for the conservation of wildlife and our natural environment.
“Zoo animals are ambassadors for their cousins in the wild.”
~ Jack Hanna
- Millennium Park | This is one of our nation’s largest urban parks with 1,400 acres of rolling terrain and six miles of frontage on the Grand River. The park is rich in natural resources, featuring unique habitats and large natural areas for wildlife to thrive. Facilities within the park include a six-acre beach and splashpad and boat rental facilities. Plus, there are nearly 18 miles of trails, and other diverse opportunities for recreation and relaxation.
- Downtown Market | A dynamic public space featuring local food purveyors for every appetite. Taste specialty tacos, freshly baked bread, amazing seafood, cheeses, coffee, and wine. And, don’t miss the spectacular rooftop greenhouse event space!
- Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts (UICA) | UICA presents gallery exhibitions of contemporary artwork from regional, national and international artists throughout the year. They host a range of events including docent-led tours, concerts, performance art, short film series, artist receptions, and gallery talks. The UICA movie theater shows first-run independent cinema, international films, and documentaries six days a week.
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien
- Food & Drink | We love the food and beverage scene in Grand Rapids these days. So. Many. Great. Choices! Sovengard, Butcher’s Union, Reserve, Osteria Rossa, Grove, Maru Sushi, Electric Cheetah, The Old Goat, Donkey Taqueria, Winchester, Terra plus more. These restaurants come to mind without pause.
- Brewery Hop | Voted Beer City USA in national polls and named Best Beer Town and Best Beer Scene by USA TODAY readers, Grand Rapids is the perfect place for your next beercation. The Beer City Ale Trail boasts 80+ breweries – more incredible craft beer per square mile than just about anywhere else on earth.
- The Cheese Lady | The friendly staff is ready to help you experience more than 90 varieties of cheese. Go ahead and ask them all about cheese. Then, explore the well-curated selection of wine and beer for the perfect compliment to the cheese you buy.
- St. Cecilia Music Society | It’s the only organization of its kind in West Michigan. In 1883 nine Grand Rapids’ women created St. Cecilia to promote the study and appreciation of music. This intimate venue with excellent acoustics hosts a great show! Jazz, Folk, Acoustic, or Chamber Music, St. Cecilia does it all, and does it well.
- Fountain Street Church | This historic church is a stunning place to see a concert, hear a lecture, or enjoy a night of poetry. The events at Fountain Street are always a hot ticket.
- Art Prize | The most attended public art event on the planet is now a biennial event. But, don’t worry. There’s something wonderfully artistic happening every year. Meet Project 1 where five artists create innovative community-oriented projects throughout Grand Rapids. Art Prize and The Art Projects both happen every other year throughout Grand Rapids.
Back In Saugatuck For The Evening’s Sips And Small Plates Hour
After time and energy spent in Grand Rapids, come on back to Saugatuck for Sips & Small Plates at Wickwood Inn. Bringing great people together for good food is what we do best at our downtown bed and breakfast. Plus, you now have stories of your Grand Rapids day of adventure to share at our social appetizer hour!