South Haven, MI Is A Great Destination For A Day Trip During Your Wickwood Stay
The Perfect South Haven, Michigan Day Trip
South Haven, Michigan is an easy 25 minute drive from Saugatuck. With Wickwood Inn’s perfect hotel location in the heart of historical downtown Saugatuck, you just might stay in town. Walk, bike, paddle, or sail your way anywhere you want around our town as nothing is very far. However, when you carve out an extended stay at Wickwood, you can spread your wings and broaden the adventure. And why not? You have guaranteed free private parking at Wickwood Inn. Plus, our neighboring towns are delightful and a short drive away.
On your way to South Haven, you have an easy drive, south along Lake Michigan with many sights along the way. Pass farm stands, orchards, wineries, cider houses, artist studios and antique stands. What fun!
Things To Do In South Haven, Michigan
- North Beach| Lose track of time on the expansive, sugar sand beach that has all the amenities you need for a fun day in the sun. It’s ADA accessible with a full-service concession stand, picnic area, restrooms, and beach volleyball court.
- South Beach| Pack your picnic basket for a day on the other side of the channel. Make use of the grills. Then, enjoy the Big Red Lighthouse that has guarded the channel entrance for more than 100 years.
- Michigan Maritime Museum| This Great Lakes Historical Museum is an institution of maritime research, preservation and education. Five separate buildings offer a variety of engaging opportunities. See permanent and changing exhibits on Michigan maritime history. Explore the center for the teaching of boat building and related maritime skills. And, have a look around their regionally renowned research library.
- Kal Haven Trail| This 33-mile former railroad bed links the city of South Haven to the city of Kalamazoo. The trail is a perfect destination for hiking, biking, cross country skiing and snowmobiling. Along the way, cross over bridges, pass through small towns, and enjoy points of historical interest.
- Cogdal Vineyards| Enjoy tasting innovative wines in an intimate setting near the shores of Lake Michigan.
- McIntosh Cellars| Enjoy traditional Old World Cider, iced apple aperitif, and premium fruit wines in the beautiful surroundings of the orchards.
“Everybody can see that my swing is homegrown. That means everybody has a chance to do it.”
~ Bubba Watson
- Hawks Head Golf and Restaurant| Get out on the greens designed by world renowned golf architect Arthur Hill. Then relax for a cocktail, appetizer, lunch, or dinner at Hawk’s Head. Experience the panoramic views of the woods and the links.
- Shop downtown| Explore South Haven’s art galleries, boutiques and antique stores.
- Farmers Market| This vibrant farm market contributes to the success of local farmers and artisan food growers. It serves as a community gathering placein South Haven for residents and visitors alike.
- Barden’s Farm Market & Bakery| Featuring a greenhouse and a bakery, this farm stand carries local fruits and vegetables. Plus, find many Michigan craft beers and loads of local wines.
- Pick Blueberries| There’s nothing like blueberry season in West Michigan. The berries are big, sweet, and abundant. The picking is easy. And, bring a big bucket!
- Sherman Dairy Bar| Serving up smiles since 1916, Sherman’s makes ice cream the old fashioned way. They create many flavors, still one batch at a time, without the help of huge high-tech equipment.
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor.”
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- Dining| Try the ‘Sharings’ and unique gourmet burgers at Kitchen 527. Maybe try the soups, salads, and pastas at Tello’s Italian Bistro. For an afternoon pick-me-up and sweet visit the Phoenix Street Café. Or, delight in the array of small plates at Taste.
- Blue Star Pottery| The studio of Mark Williams features handmade art stoneware. Bowls and platters feature Mark’s classic leaf printed designs. His new work has elegant textured designs. He creates by uniquely combining the pottery techniques of textured slab and throwing on the pottery wheel.
- Zoie’s Garden Gallery| A feature in Midwest Living Magazine, The Healing Garden provides a rich retreat. See area sculpture and brilliant transparent watercolors featuring nature-inspired art and familiar scenes from the South Haven area.
- Khnemu Studio on Fernwood Farm| This solar powered sustainable farm is home to the handmade pottery studio of Michigan artist, Dawn Soltysiak. The charming studio and gallery are in the restored historic barn on the 1890’s Fernwood Farm Estate.
Return From South Haven To Wickwood Inn
Be sure and wind your way back to Wickwood Inn by six. Wind down at our social appetizer hour, Sips & Small Plates At Six. Enjoy some relaxation time eating in the gardens or next to the fireplace. And share your South Haven, Michigan adventures with fellow bed and breakfast guests before you head off to dinner downtown.