Explore the Saugatuck Center For The Arts This Summer
Discover Saugatuck’s Coolest Cultural Hotspot
The Saugatuck Center For The Arts has it all this summer! Look for the hottest ticket in Saugatuck, Michigan for theater, live music, documentary film, comedy, and more. Look no further than our Sauguatck Center for the Arts (SCA). The SCA puts on amazing events, and their summer lineup is fabulous. Buy your tickets now and plan your summer getaway to Wickwood Inn in Saugatuck today!
Mason Street Warehouse Productions
Get your tickets for any and all of the Mason Street Warehouse main stage productions. All shows are in a 410 seat boutique theater, in other words, every seat in the house is a good one.
- In The Heights ~ June 21 – July 14 | From Lin Manuel Miranda, the creator of the smash hit Hamilton, comes In The Heights. It’s about a vibrant neighborhood where the coffee from the corner bodega is sweet. The windows are always open, and the breeze carries the rhythm of three generations of music. Winner of the 2008 Tony for Best Musical, In The Heights tells a captivating story. See what it means to chase your dreams as you cling to your roots and celebrate the community from which you grew.
- Unnecessary Farce ~ July 26 – August 10 | In a cheap motel room an embezzling mayor is supposed to meet with his female accountant. While in the room next door, two undercover cops wait to catch the meeting on videotape. But there’s some confusion as to who’s in which room, who’s being videotaped, who’s taken the money, who’s hired a hit man. And finally, why the accountant keeps taking off her clothes.
- A Gentleman’s Guide To Love And Murder ~ August 16 – September 1 | Winner of the 2014 Tony for Best Musical, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder is the hilarious story of Monty Navarro. He’s an heir to a family fortune wants to inherit it all by eliminating the eight pesky relatives who stand in his way. All the while, Monty juggles his mistress (she’s after more than just love), his fiancée (she’s his cousin but who’s keeping track?), and the constant threat of jailtime.
Live Music At The Saugatuck Center For The Arts
The Accidentals | Start your summer with an outdoor concert featuring one of Michigan’s hottest indie-folk bands, The Accidentals! There will food trucks, craft cocktails, hands-on art making, and exclusive art for purchase | June 7
Well-Strung | This “talented quartet of men who sing and play instruments brilliantly, fuses pop and classical music from Madonna to Beethoven” heats things up in Saugatuck for two nights this summer! (The New York Times) | July 17 & 18
Summer In The Studio | Treasured by locals, make sure you’re in town on Monday night. The small selection of intimate concerts in the performance studio is special. Musicians perform a stripped down show that highlights the beauty of live music. 2019 concerts include:
- The Hummingbirds | July 8
- Claire Wellin | July 22
- Marya Grandy & Tom Vendafreddo | July 29
- Chris Blisset | August 5
- Jaime Marvin | August 19
The Family Tree of the String Quartet | The Vega Quartet, based in Atlanta, GA, are in Saugatuck August 1 & 2 at the Chamber Music Festival. The quartet performs nationally and internationally. The New York Times raves that “[the Quartet’s] playing has a kind of clean intoxication to it, pulling the listener along…the musicians took real risks in their music making.” | August 1
Saugatuck Center For The Arts Exhibitions & Art Education
Gallery Exhibitions | The latest exhibits and upcoming installations in the main gallery of the Saugatuck Center For The Arts are open to all!
- Storied Drawing | Experience four talented visual story-tellers whose drawing-based works range from GIF’s, interactive illustration and animation to painting and ceramics. The exhibit offers a glimpse into their diversity, as well as their unique cross-disciplinary applications that include children’s books, advertising, textiles, and fabrics. | June 7 – September 8
- Frail Deeds | This ‘Corridor Series’ features art from the SCA’s 2019 Artist in Residence, Mandy Cano Villalobos. Her work marks the passage of time using unconventional items in 2D and 3D form. It all takes place during the Jump into Summer event on June 7. | June 7 – September 16
“Life’s busyness rarely affords us the occasion to process our shifting traditions and fluctuating identities. Through rituals and storytelling, my work creates a space to contemplate these ambiguities.”
~ Maria Cano Villalobos
Summer Education Programs | We love the variety of programming for kids and adults at the Saugatuck Center For The Arts! For instance, see everything from Backyard Clay Play, to Paper Mâché ~ Larger Than Life Animals, to Creating Colorful Cookies, to S.T.E.A.M. Team. There’s something fun to learn for everyone!
Most importantly, this is just a sample of all the great programming at the Saugatuck Center for the Arts. Don’t miss your seat this summer at the season’s hottest events on the Lake Michigan shore. Buy your tickets and plan your getaway to Wickwood Inn in Saugatuck today!