Fall In Love With Wickwood Inn In Saugatuck
Autumn Is The Very Best Time For A Wickwood Getaway
There’s something magical about fall in Saugatuck. And, it’s even better with a fall getaway to Wickwood Inn in downtown Saugatuck. At the Inn, our bed and breakfast foods explode with the flavors of the harvest season. We share with guests our delicious bounty from our trips to the farmers markets. If that’s not enough, Lake Michigan’s moderate temperatures can still lure you in for a swim. The uninterrupted coastline with its towering dunes and award-winning beaches beckon. The crisp evening air is perfect for your favorite sweater while watching the stunning sunset along the lakeshore.
When it comes to exploring a breathtaking Michigan fall color tour, there’s no better place. Wickwood Inn’s location is perfect for your Michigan Fall Color Tour. The Saugatuck area’s combination of waterways, sand dunes, and magnificent trees create the perfect backdrop for a spectacular show.
“Try to remember a kind of September when life was slow and oh so mellow …”
~ The Fantasticks
Fall Things You Must Do In Saugatuck
Simply choose how you want to explore our towering trees bursting with robust reds, oranges, and yellows. And then, our expert innkeepers happily help you plan your route during your Wickwood stay. No matter the mode of transit, you’re sure to see the very best Fall Colors In Michigan.
- Drive Saugatuck, Michigan’s idyllic country roads | Stop at area artist studios, galleries, farm-stands, markets, orchards, and vineyards that dot the way. You won’t want to miss the gorgeous work of Dawn Stafford at Peachbelt Studio. Taste the freshest and best chèvre at Evergreen Lane Farms and Creamery. Get lost and work up an appetite in the Corn Maze at Crane’s Orchards … there’s a piece of homemade pie and a cider donut waiting for you! Stay a little longer and pick apples, find the perfect pumpkins, gourds, and squash for fall decorating and eating. Turn off and take a tour and taste at Fenn Valley Winery. Relax on the patio and enjoy the expansive views at our newest area winery, Modales. Walk the trails, visit the animals, and taste the Bottle to Branch ciders at Virtue Farms. Stop off at a farmers market and marvel at the colors and shapes of the harvest around you. Saugatuck in fall is amazing.
- Hike through towering dunes and stroll on sandy beaches | With over 14 miles of well-marked trails and 2.5 miles of uninterrupted Lake Michigan Coastline, you can spend a day exploring nature in all her splendor at the Saugatuck Dunes State Park. Fill your picnic basket with freshly made local fare at Farmhouse Pantry, maybe a special bottle of wine from Mike at Wine Sellers, and enjoy a day in the pristine outdoors. Have the beach to yourself. Nap. Read. Swim. Time is yours. Or, simply pull right up to our award-winning Oval Beach. Walk to the pier or explore the trails at Saugatuck Harbor Natural Area. No matter where you decide to relax some time away, the colors of autumn will surround and astonish you.
“By all these lovely tokens September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.”
~ Helen Hunt Jackson
- Bike through both our charming villages | Biking is an ideal way to explore both Saugatuck and Douglas, especially in the fall. The roads are less busy, so there’s plenty of room to bike and easy glide into any space. Make frequent stops at our unique boutiques: For the Love of Shoes, Landsharks, Chantal, Good Goods, James Brandess and Jeff Blandford Galleries, Butler Kitchen Pantry … just to name a few in Saugatuck. Water Street Gallery, Endora, Articles Boutique, and Coastal Society in Douglas. Stop off for refreshment at Borrowed Time, J. Petter Galleries and Wine Bar, or a super healthy smoothie or juice at Tree of Life. Need a little caffeine to pick you back up? Uncommon Coffee Roasters is the place to be.
- Soar to new heights | Climb the 302 steps up Mt. Baldhead and be rewarded with panoramic views of Saugatuck, Douglas, and the harbor. This is prime viewing for fall colors! Hike down the back of the dune a bit for expansive views of Lake Michigan and its stunning coastline.
- Get out on the greens | Hit 9 or 18 at Clearbrook or The Ravines. Both courses provide idyllic scenery and a wide variety of mature trees surrounding the course.
- Get out on the water |Paddle up the Kalamazoo river in a kayak or on a paddleboard, sail away onto the Big Lake on Schooner Serenity, relax and take it all in on the Star of Saugatuck, float into the cove on a pontoon boat or a retro electric boat. No matter the vessel, the views up and down the river cannot be beat.
Fall Inspired Events & Menus
Saugatuck in fall means special events and new menu items popping up all over town. Come and taste the latest specialty cocktail at The Southerner or at Bowdies. See the award winning film on the big screen at The Saugatuck Center for the Arts. Taste what’s coming fresh from fields at Pennyroyal. Celebrate the harvest at Fenn Valley. Honor the apples at Apple Fest or a Pressing Party at Virtue. Join in all the festivities of Halloween. Want to make sure you are up on the best of what’s happening in Saugatuck? Subscribe to our newsletter here. We promise we only send good news … and good recipes, too!
Wickwood Inn In Downtown Saugatuck Awaits
Now that you know how wonderful fall in Saugatuck is, have a look and choose your room. Reserve your Fall Getaway to Wickwood Inn today while we have availability! At this most beautiful time of year in West Michigan, our bed and breakfast fills quickly.