Our Indian Summer In Saugatuck
We have a unique Indian Summer here on the lakeshore. And today, we’re going to let you in on a pretty special secret.
Summer brings the most visitors to Saugatuck.
But wait … that’s not our reveal.
You probably already knew that summers in Saugatuck are spectacular! With long days full of sunshine, sand, and sparkling freshwater … what’s not to love? Of course, we do LOVE summer here, and we are always amazed at how quickly the days fly by! However, for many of us year rounders, our favorite season in Saugatuck begins after Labor Day.
“No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.”
~ John Donne
You see, here’s what you may not know: West Michigan can officially declare itself the Banana Belt of the Great Lakes.
You may be wondering … “A banana belt? I know that Southwest Michigan is the fruit belt of the midwest, but I didn’t know they were growing bananas?!”
A banana belt is “any segment of a larger geographic region that enjoys warmer weather conditions than the region as a whole.”
What’s the explanation for this microclimate of warmth that we in Saugatuck enjoy throughout the fall and into winter?
The warmth of Lake Michigan! That’s right. As the Big Lake warms throughout the summer, the prevailing west winds warm up as well. This warmth travels onto our shores, and we enjoy warmer temperatures than others around us.
“Autumn is the mellower season, and what we lose in flowers, we more than gain in fruits.”
~ Samuel Butler
It happens every year! The nearly 90 mile expanse of Lake Michigan never lets us down. The temperatures 20-30 miles on shore are consistently warmer than everyone else surrounding us.
It’s great! This means that September, October and November are especially delightful here. The lake is still great for swimming and boating. The beaches are perfect for long strolls. The sunsets happen earlier, but they don’t lose an ounce of beauty. The leaves take their time turning, and the splendor of fall reveals itself slowly … until, WOW! Everything around us is bursting with color!
Reserve your Indian Summer getaway to Wickwood Inn today. Rooms are filling fast, and we don’t want you to miss out on the magic!
Wondering what a fall getaway to Wickwood Inn might look like? Here’s a sample itinerary to get you started dreaming.
- Check in at Wickwood Inn | Experience the difference of life at Wickwood from the moment you enter!
- Downtown Saugatuck Gallery Hop | Amazwi, James Brandess, Jeff Blandford, Armstrong DeGraaf, and more. Need a pick-me-up? Grab a cup of joe at Uncommon Grounds
- Sips & Small Plates at Wickwood | Pomodoro Sips, Baked Cheddar Green Olives, Spicy Sausage Pinwheels, Artichoke & Parmigiana Crostini
- Stroll along Oval Beach | Enjoy the never-ending sandy shore of Lake Michigan
- Dinner Downtown | Try Phil’s in Saugatuck or Every Day People Café in Douglas
- Live Music Keeps the Energy Going | Saugatuck Brewery, What Not Inn, Salt of the Earth
- Venture Out | Take a morning hike at the Saugatuck Dunes State Park. Experience the abundance at Farmers’ Market in Holland. Maybe you’d rather simply stroll along the docks? Or, stay in bed with that favorite book you brought along.
- Brunch at Wickwood | Peaches & Blueberries with Honey and Lemon SauceThree Roasted Peppers and Corn Pudding with Spiced Syrup, Peach Bismarcks with Raspberry Sauce, Link Sausage Mélange with Onions & Apples
- Explore one of our favorite shops: Indian Summer | This well-curated collection of jewelry, rugs, pottery, and Native American art will amaze!
- Head To The Orchards | Pick apples at Cranes, find the best pumpkin, try the corn maze, and treat yourself to a cider doughnut
- Visit A Stunning Gallery | We love the gorgeous paintings of Dawn Stafford at Peach Belt Studio
- Relax. Imbibe. Enjoy. | Sip a pint of cider at Virtue. Or, tour Fenn Valley Winery. Either way, have some cheese, salami, and light bites … but don’t ruin your appetite, for there’s more great food coming soon!
- Sips & Small Plates at Wickwood | Four Cheese Panini, Curried Squash & Mango Chutney Crostini, Indian Summer Crudité with House made Aioli
- Dinner In Downtown Holland | Fine dining up front. Pub atmosphere in back. Expansive outdoor deck. Great food all around. Don’t miss out other great shops on 8th street … The Peanut Store brings out the kid in everyone!
- Soak Up The Splendor | Sunset sail with Captain Mort. Cruise on the Star of Saugatuck. Open a bottle of wine at the beach. So many ways to enjoy a Lake Michigan sunset.
- Start Out Strong | Climb the 303 stairs up Mount Baldhead for spectacular views and stunning leaf colors. Rent a bike from Just Add Water and wind your way around town.
- Brunch at Wickwood | Four Melon Salad with Ginger Cordial, Bourbon Glazed Country Ham, Exquisite Scrambled Eggs with Sante Fe Green Salsa, Crane’s Cider Donuts, Best Carrot Cake Ever with Creamy Cream Cheese
- Take In More Color | Wander country roads visiting Blue Coast Artist studios. Admire the splendor of autumn all along the way.
Need even more inspiration for Things To Do In Saugatuck during the fall? Visit our Indian Summer page for a more detailed itinerary.
Join us for the secret summer season in Saugatuck … reserve your Indian Summer getaway today!