Secret Saugatuck | Step Into The Good Life | Wickwood Inn
“The ant is knowing and wise, but he doesn’t know enough to take a vacation.”
~ Clarence Day
“Don’t grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.”
~ Michelle Held
Coastal Living has ranked Saugatuck as #9/20 of “The 2018 Top 10 Costal Places To Live”
To be sure a stay at Wickwood Inn is a great summer escape, but our Lake Michigan beach town is a year-round paradise. We’ve known it for a long time … folks fortunate enough to live in Saugatuck, Michigan, have it good. What a thrill that Coastal Living has placed Saugatuck, alongside places such as Santa Cruz, California and The Kennebunks, Maine, as one of the top 20 coastal places to live in the country! It’s great to see recognition for our “beautiful public beaches and 200 foot sand dunes,” because these are things we all LOVE! We’re here to take you even further inside to what makes life in Saugatuck so special. Consider this your private tour with a year-round local guide.
Welcome to your insider’s guide to the Secrets Of Saugatuck. These are just some of the places the locals love!
- We’re proud of our award-winning Oval Beach, but that’s the not the only game in town. In addition to Douglas Beach, the Saugatuck Dunes State Park, and Shore Acres Township Park, there are several more hidden gems along our coastline. Try Laketown Beach just north of town and take in the towering dunes. Want easier access? Head south to Pier Cove Park and search for beach glass and lucky stones. Or, pack a picnic and enjoy the gazebo at West Side County Park.
- Let go of stress as you stroll throughout Summerhouse Lavender Farm. With over 825 plants, featuring seven different varieties of lavender, this one-acre farm is all about creating calm. Enjoy the Japanese garden, the perennials and rock garden, the music of the fountain, and the swath of birches and boulders that are integrated within the walking paths. There are plenty of places to walk to sit and to connect with nature in a peaceful and lavender scented environment.
- If Fido is lucky enough to make the trip with you, you certainly need to know about Saugatuck Township Tails & Trails Dog Park. Featuring easy parking, over 6 acres, and 4 different areas for dogs, this well-maintained park is the favorite play date for all the local dogs. Needing to stretch your legs as well? Simply follow the easy network of walking trails.
- Eager to learn more about the history of the area? Join in on any of the fun and informative events hosted by the Saugatuck/Douglas History Center. Whether it’s a Tuesday Talk or Dine Around Town, a visit to the PumpHouse Museum, the Old School House, or the re-fashioned Root Beer Barrel, this vibrant organization always puts on a great exhibition or event.
- Want to have a glamorous night out AND support a great local organization? Get your tickets for one of the big summer events. Whether you choose to enjoy the Annual Gala at the Saugatuck Center for the Arts or the Summer Benefit at Ox-Bow School of Art, you’ll need to get your tickets well in advance … these events do sell out. Either way, be prepared for great food, cocktails, and conversation. You’ll also get to meet some of our favorite locals.
- Looking for some live music? Try the Thursday night Chamber Music Series, a Sunday night jam session at the What Not Inn, or a Sunday night house concert at Salt Of The Earth.
- Now for our favorite topic … food! Be sure and drive the country roads to find the perfect farm stand, orchard, and fields of berries. Be amazed by the plentitude of food and the crowds of people at the Holland Farmers’ Market. For breakfast or lunch in downtown Saugatuck, don’t forget about the quaint little cottage, Ida Red’s. Try the Asparagus Alfredo pasta, select the plate of three interesting salads, or their Souvlaki of Beef tenderloin and homemade Tzatziki. Be sure and save room for their warm rice pudding with whipped cream. Because you’re in the know, you know they only take cash.
At the end of the day, Wickwood’s guests are gathering for such dishes as: our Artisanal Cheese and Charcuterie Board; Caramelized Onion and Fontina Panini; Minty Fava Beans & Peas with Herbed Ricotta atop Crostini; Three Cheese Gougères; Cheddar Olives; Shrimp & Crab Crostini; Spicy Sausage Pinwheels; and Spring Scallion & Goat Cheese Tarts … all while lingering and sipping Rosé Wine or Rosé Cider.
Step into the good life. Reserve your Wickwood Inn getaway today!
“A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in.”
~ Robert Orben