Summer In Saugatuck + Wickwood Inn = Foodie Heaven!
Posted on: June 28, 2021 | Posted in: Getaways
We’re going to let you in on a well-kept secret … West Michigan, specifically Allegan County, is one of the most diverse — and most delicious — regions in the entire country! It’s a fact, and Summer is an ideal time to experience Saugatuck food, wine and all this area has to offer. When you reserve a room at Wickwood Inn for your Saugatuck Summer Getaway, you are guaranteed an absolutely delicious time.
James Beard Award Winning Cookbook Author, and owner of Wickwood Inn, Julee Rosso, delights in bringing great people together over good food and wine. She also believes life’s too short for hassles, so the Evening Sips & Small Plates, Sweets & Treats, and Signature Farm To Table Brunch are included in your stay. Every bite is bursting with flavor and no matter the dish, the fresh, local ingredients are allowed to shine.
While staying at Wickwood Inn in Saugatuck, you’ll enjoy easy access to the all the best food spots around. Consider this your Insider’s Guide so you can venture out and taste the difference for yourself … let the Foodie Farm & Fun Tour begin!
Begin by visiting the local Saugatuck Farmers’ Markets along with those in Holland, and South Haven. Each has its own personality and a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, flowers, plants, baked goods, ready to eat items, and artisanal products.
Next, take a driving tour through the idyllic countryside where the sky opens up and abundance is everywhere. You have several options for routes, and your taste buds will be delighted no matter which path you choose!
In the Saugatuck/Douglas & Fennville area, here are a few Saugatuck food and drink treasures you won’t want to miss:
- Crane’s Apple Orchard, Pie Pantry, Restaurant & Cider Mill | Offers a vast variety of Michigan goodness. U-pick or We-pick apple orchards, freshly baked or frozen to take-n-bake pies & other baked goods, pressed cider & hard-ciders to sample and purchase
- Dee’s Lakeshore | Featuring a vast variety of freshly piced fruits & vegetable, U-pick or We-pick blueberries & raspberries, pure honey produced by the the farm’s bees, jams, jellies & fresh cut flowers;
- Earl’s Farm Market & U-Pick | Freshly picked or U-pick berries, freshly picked vegetables, on-site bakery featuring homemade pies, baked goods & strawberry shortcake, jams & ice cream;
- Evergreen Lane Farm & Creamery | Hand-crafted artisan goat & cow’s milk cheeses. A favorite for locals and featured in the area’s best restaurants;
- Fenn Valley Vineyards | Family owned and operated winery & tasting bar offering vineyard tours and many fun food & wine special events;
- Fernwood 1891 & Root Coffee House| Fine arts & crafts from more than 50 area artists, Local & artisan edibles, Coffee House, Café & Bakery.
- Kismet Farm & Bakery | Home to a massive French Gueulard-style wood-fired oven, this organic farm and bakery brings crust & crumb to many happy eaters;
- Lyon’s Market | Featuring fresh fruits & vegetables, jams, hone and fresh-cut flowers
- Pleasant Hill Farms | Offering organic blueberries U-pick or we-pick both fresh & frozen. Also, farm-made maple syrup;
- Virtue Cider | Unique blends of local and heirloom apples are at the core of this branch to bottle hard-cider tasting and bottle shop.
Continue just a bit further down the lakeshore, and you’ll arrive in South Haven where you can begin to taste all this town has to offer:
- Barden’s Farm Market | Freshly picked fruits & veggies, Michigan made syrups & jams, pies & baked good, savory & sweet treats;
- Dutch Farm Market | Homegrown fruits & vegetables picked at the peak of perfection, Michigan made baked goods & ice cream;
- McIntosh Orchard & Winery | Apples, ciders, baked goods made from the farm’s fruits, tasting bar & wine available for purchase;
- Overhiser Orchards | Family owned farm featuring freshly picked fruits & vegetables, U-pick offerings & farm tours;
- Riverbend Farms | Freshly picked or U-pick farm featuring blackberries, raspberries, pears, peaches & chestnuts;
- Stephenson’s Farmer’s Market | Family farm crafting fresh baked goods, syrups, fruit preserves, honey, mustards, juice concentrates & more.
A great resource for touring the area, and for exciting special events (like the 5th Annual Bike Tour on Saturday, August 20!), is Lakeshore Harvest Country.
Just north of Saugatuck brings you to the charming town of Holland, where in addition to their amazing farmers’ market you will also find:
- Bowerman Blueberries | Fresh produce & baked goods, homemade fudge & U-pick blueberries;
- Crisp Country Acres | Farmstand featuring fresh produce, apple cider & fresh eggs;
- Reenders Blueberries | Freshly picked or U-pick blueberries & other Michigan produce and products avaialable;
- Shady Side Farms | Organic heirloom dried beans, sheep yarn for knitting & hand-loomed socks, sheep shearing demonstrations
When you’re ready for a little more Urban appeal, Grand Rapids (just 30 minutes away) offers fantastic foods (and amazing beverage options!) in a friendly, city setting:
- Grand Rapids Downtown Market | Featuring a 23-vendor market hall with two full-service restaurants, while dozens of artisans line the outdoor market shed. Exceptional spaces throughout the site, including a rentable Incubator Kitchen, rooftop greenhouses, and the nation’s first kid-friendly demonstration kitchen (you have to see it to believe it). The Market is LEED Gold certified, features a green roof, live walls, geotherm wells, a rain garden, and plenty of other innovative, sustainable features.
- Fulton Street Farmers’ Market | Established in 1922, this is the oldest and largest market in Grand Rapids, and some of its vendors, like Tanis Orchards have been participating since 1931!
- Lubber’s Family Farm | This family owned picturesque farm is nestled along the Grand River. At Lubbers, sustainable agricultural practices have been the guiding principles since 1995. Enjoy the Little Rooster Bread Company, Farm Store, Meats, Eggs, and a walking tour!
- The Urban Mushroom | Grand Rapids first gourmet mushroom grower offering classes, foraging events, and other fun mushroom related products.
- Grand Rapids Coffee Roasters | A coffee roasting house offering coffees, teas and specialty chocolates where you can participate in their Saturday Experience … receiving custom roasted coffee while you wait.
- Mud Lake Farms | We’ll happily arrange a tour for you at one of our favorites! The pesticide free, bio-heated hydroponic greenhouses at Mud Lake Farms in Hudsonville grow wonder herbs & produce.
This is just a sampling of what’s available for the food lover within easy distance from Wickwood Inn. Plan your summer getaway to Saugatuck, Michigan today, and we’ll help you completely customize your Farm & Foodie Tour. And don’t forget, the great tastes begin complimentary with your reservation at Wickwood Inn. Let your tastebuds delight in our: Farm To Table Signature Brunch, Sweets & Treats throughout your stay, and Evening Sips & Small Plates beginning at 6:00 p.m.
Go ahead, taste the good life!