The Best Very Berry Shortcake
Posted on: May 20, 2015 | Posted in: Recipes
Our secret for the most luscious shortcake is to puree some of the berries and make them sparkle with a bit of lemon and orange juice. Let the remaining sliced berries and the puree mixture marry at room temperature. Now, it’s time for dessert! Make sure the biscuits are piping hot. The berries warm and juicy. And the whipped cream icy cool. We think it’s perfection!
6 – 8
2 quarts ripe strawberries, cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces (approx. 6 cups cut berries)
2 oranges, juice only
2 lemons, juice only
4 – 6 tablespoons sugar, depending on the season and the sweetness of berries
2 pints blueberries
2 pints raspberries
1 pint blackberries
Softly Whipped Cream
2 pints heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 – 3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 1/3 cups Bisquick, original
1/2 cup milk
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Several hours prior to serving, trim and cut strawberries and place in a bowl.
- Remove 1 cup of strawberries and one pint of raspberries and place in blender. Add (hand squeezed) juices of lemons, orange and 4 tablespoons of sugar, taste for sweetness.
- Pour puree over cut strawberries and add whole raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and taste for sweetness. Add additional sugar if necessary – remember there is sugar in cream and biscuits. Set aside at room temperature.
- In a medium mixing bowl (by whisk or mixer) whip the cream until it has soft peaks. Add the vanilla, and sugar to taste. Whip just one minute more. Fold in the sour cream keeping cream loose, cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Thirty minutes prior to serving, preheat oven to 425°. Ready un-greased baking sheet. Place all biscuit ingredients (in order) into a medium mixing bowl and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Drop 6 – 8 biscuits into even amounts onto baking sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes on middle rack in oven until golden brown.
- When biscuits are done, immediately place 1 biscuit, in a shallow bowl or on a plate. Ladle berries and juice over hot biscuits. Top with a generous dolling of Softly Whipped Cream. Smile.