Silver Palate Cookbook Summer Pasta Recipe: Linguine w/ Tomato & Basil
Posted on: August 15, 2015 | Posted in: Recipes
The Silver Palate Cookbook’s Summer Pasta
Linguine With Tomatoes And Basil
“Summer cooking implies a sense of immediacy, a capacity to capture the essence of the fleeting moment.”
~ Elizabeth Dowd
This “raw” sauce requires little more than the season’s best produce, casually tossed together. Use the lushest tomatoes and most fragrant basil you can find.
4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 pound Brie, rind removed, torn into irregular pieces
1 cup fresh basil leaves, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into strips
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon best-quality olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds linguine
- At least 2 hours before serving, combine the tomatoes, Brie, basil, garlic, the 1 cup olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Bring 6 quarts salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the linguine, and boil until tender but still firm, 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and immediately toss with the tomato sauce. Serve at once, passing the peppermill, and the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese if you like.
- See what looks best at farmers’ market and have fun adding different vegetables!
- Make it even more hearty by mixing in a protein like shrimp or chicken.
- Switch it up by using burrata, marscarpone, or fresh mozzarella.