The Joy Of Shopping In Saugatuck Michigan
Shop Saugatuck And Shop Small
The holiday shopping season is soon upon us. That time of year when you know you should start gift buying for the upcoming holiday season. The joy of shopping in Saugatuck will make your gift buying even easier! Downtown Saugatuck is simply filled with wonderful shops upon wonderful shops. And…it’s just outside of Wickwood Inn’s front door. And, if you can’t find exactly what you want, there are two more equally charming small towns mere moments away.
“Whoever said money can’t buy happiness simply didn’t know where to go shopping.”
~ Bo Derek
The Shop Small Trend
We believe joy should motivate your shopping too! Avoid the headache of those personality-free malls; instead, Shop Small Saturday in downtown Saugatuck, Douglas and nearby Holland! Shop Small is a nationwide trend to celebrate small businesses every day and to help communities thrive and stay vibrant. Keep your joy this season, by shopping local with us! Here are our favorite shops that make shopping ‘small’ a real pleasure at any time of the year. And, although we say ‘shop small’, bring your big shopping bag! You’re going to need it.
Boutiques Steps From Wickwood In Downtown Saugatuck:
- Indian Summer – This unique shop features the most impressive collection of authentic Native American jewelry, pottery, rugs and more we’ve ever seen. Anywhere. Owners Carl and Susan spend six months a year in New Mexico, dealing directly with the artists, hand picking every item. Get your gift list and your shopping wish list ready. This store is a real gem.
- James Brandess Studios & Gallery – We love the cards as a simple way of bringing home the beauty of this area.
- Swell Times – The vintage collectables at are sure to make you laugh. Shop for unique gifts that appeal to that certain someone’s sense of humor.
- Good Goods – This gallery meets gift shop carries the best of hand-made in America and a curated selection of fine artwork.
- Landshark’s – Has an excellent collection of clothing, shoes and accessories for active people.
- For the Love of Shoes – Find the latest in resort and active footwear fashions.
- Grab some inspiration for your next dinner party at these three shops: American Spoon, International Home, and The Olive Mill.
- Snag some souvenirs by shopping at Saugatuck Traders.
- Renuar – Find sophisticated fashions to spice up any wardrobe with great labels for all ages.
- And so many more small boutiques and specialty shops all along Butler Street and Water Street in downtown Saugatuck.
In the Charming Village of Douglas, look for:
- Cabbages & Kings – A great place for kids of all ages and to buy lovely gifts for anyone on your list.
- Brackett & Company – Find stylish accents for the home in one of the shops that inspires the many interior designers who have cottages near.
- Mixed Media – Discover contemporary fine art gifts and accessories.
- J. Petter Galleries & Petter Wine Gallery – Enjoy carefully chosen selection of wines from near and far. Buy custom gift-wrapped bottles to bring back home and for your friends and family. Plus, sip that wine while slowly perusing two floors of high quality fine art.
- Upscale Mercantile – Have dreams of vintage? Don’t miss the expertly styled & curated unique furniture and vintage gems located in the J. Petter Galleries’ large studio barn.
- Kismet Bakery – The best bread ever! These secret recipe baked goods will make you take loaves home with you and freeze them for later.
- Roan & Black – Shop for unique contemporary upscale fine art and home goods presented in two buildings. One building is an old garage reinvented to modern industrial surrounded by an artful sculpture garden.
- Water Street Gallery – A thoughtful wide range of contemporary paintings and sculptures are featured in this long-standing Saugatuck area gallery.
8th Street in Downtown Holland:
- Spring Sweet – Women’s fashion, chic gifts and fresh flowers make this boutique a favorite among visitors.
- JB And Me – A mother and daughter dynamic duo brings on stylish outfits for women of any age.
- Frances Jaye – Hard to find upscale fashion brands for men and women make this a don’t miss unique boutique.
- Home And Company – A quirky shop for all and a fun place to explore just off 8th
- HOM By Benchmark – Very stylish kitchen cabinet shop with beautiful odds, ends and even gorgeous dishware to choose from.
- The Apothecary Shop – A pretty place to pick up a fine gift for just about everyone and they even gift wrap it!
- Many, many small shops, restaurants, breweries and more up and down 8th
Whatever your taste in gifts, we have a small quirky shop for that! We’ve only scratched the surface of the many art galleries and fine boutiques which can give you unique gift ideas. Whatever it is, now’s your chance. Go on back. Take another look. Stop in a few more shops along the way, you won’t regret it. With free parking, a Saugatuck shopping experience allows you to visit our unique boutiques and galleries hassle-free, as you stroll through downtown. And when the day is over, come on back to Wickwood Inn. Kick your feet up and relish the joy you are sharing with your thoughtful gifts because you supported small town businesses. When someone asks, “Where ever did you find this?” the story is so much more interesting to tell…when you shop small in Saugatuck.