25 Things To Do In Indian Summer
The Ultimate 25 Things To Do In Indian Summer In Saugatuck
Plus, Enjoy Saugatuck’s Fall Color Before It’s Too Late
There are so many things to do in Indian Summer near us. You may already know that summers in Saugatuck are spectacular! Long days full of sunshine, sand, and sparkling freshwater … what’s not to love? Of course, we do LOVE summer here, and we are always amazed at how quickly the days fly by! However, for many of us who are here year round, our favorite season in Saugatuck begins after Labor Day.
September and October are especially delightful here. Lake Michigan is still great for swimming and boating. Oval Beach is perfect for long strolls. The sunsets happen earlier and are even more spectacular. The leaves take their time turning so the splendor of fall reveals itself slowly … until, WOW! Everything around us is bursting with color!
The orchards are heavy with apples of every variety … the picking is easy. The pumpkin patches overflow with orange. There are special events all over town, and the local restaurants feature the West Michigan fall harvest with specialty items.
Don’t hesitate! Reserve your fall getaway to Wickwood Inn in Saugatuck today.
Below are 25 things to do in Indian Summer while enjoying a luxurious stay at Wickwood Inn’s bed and breakfast. These are just a few of the Saugatuck fall events in September and October that celebrate the season.
“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
~ Albert Camus
25 Things To Do In Indian Summer This Year
- Pick apples at Crane’s Orchard | Breathtaking scenery and 17 varieties of apples, picking apples at Crane’s is iconic autumn in West Michigan … you’ll love it so much, it’s bound to become an annual tradition! Make it one of your things to do in Indian Summer every year.
- Be inspired by our art galleries | With more than 30 galleries and studios in the area, there’s something to inspire everyone. Special exhibitions, Art On Center, and the 42nd Annual Saugatuck Douglas Fall Gallery Stroll make autumn the ideal time to explore Saugatuck’s art scene.
- Take on the hills and trails of the Mt. Baldhead Challenge | This ultimate multi-terrain race is celebrating its 20th annual. Choose the challenging 7.5 mile run or take on the 12 mile challenge the race is known for. Both include the climb up over 300 stairs at Mt. Baldhead and encompass stunning views of the town and lakeshore.
- Sail away into the sunset on Schooner Serenity | The perfect nightcap! Experience the beauty of our harbor and of Lake Michigan on Schooner Serenity, the only authentic tall ship in Saugatuck.
- Celebrate the harvest at Fenn Valley Vineyards | Taste the grapes and the wine as you tour the rolling vineyards of Fenn Valley. Tours at Fenn Valley are both in-depth and big fun. Enjoy!
- Join in on Yoga & A Pint at Guardian Brewing | Move, stretch, breathe, and feel fantastic during 45 minutes of yoga on the patio. Afterwards, your reward comes quickly … choose your favorite pint, a Bloody Mary, or a Mimosa. Now, that’s the way settle into Saturday!
“Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree.”
~ Emily Brontë
7. Delight in lunch at Pennyroyal | Fans of Wickwood know we love everything about good food. So, when you have breakfast, lunch, or an afternoon snack (or treat!) at Pennyroyal, you’ll know why we love this new addition to Saugatuck’s restaurant scene.
8. Taste the best, freshest chèvre at Evergreen Lane Farms | Visit Evergreen Lane Farms for a unique farm experience and artisan cheese to savor and serve. Now in their tenth season, Evergreen Lane’s story began with a single runaway goat bursting into Kathy and Tom’s lives, and their living room! Thank goodness, because now we all get to enjoy this thriving and delightful creamery.
9.Sample a flight at our newest local winery, Modales | This 74-acre vineyard specializes in small-batch, estate-grown wines. The indoor tasting room seats 40 people, but it’s the expansive patio that draws us in. Order up a flight, a glass, or a growler of wine or cider and simply lose track of time. The perfect place to let an afternoon slip away …
10. Head to Farmhouse Deli & Pantry, pack an amazing picnic, and luxuriate at Oval Beach | Farmhouse has everything you need, and all you could ever want, to fill the perfect picnic basket. Now you’re ready for the day at Oval Beach. Read. Nap. Stroll. Look for beach glass and lucky stones. Just make sure and return in time for Sips & Small Plates at Wickwood Inn.
11. Hike the trails and dunes at Saugatuck Dunes State Park | Nestled along a secluded strip of Lake Michigan, Saugatuck Dunes State Park offers two and a half miles of shoreline. The park has fresh water coastal dunes that are over 200 feet tall, the park’s terrain varies from steep slopes to rolling hills, and it’s all stunning.
“Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.”
– George Eliot
12.Hear live music and try a flight at Waypost Brewing | Founded on the notion that good beer speaks for itself, Waypost’s beers are inspired by their farm and definitely reflect a delicious sense of place. Grab a flight or a pint and sit back and enjoy.
13.Lakeshore Harvest Bike Ride | A countryside bicycle ride to fruit farms, wineries and cideries in and around South Haven, Fennville and Saugatuck as the fall color season begins to take shape. Routes ranging in length from 15 to 62 miles to accommodate all riders.
14.Take a Cider Pairing Class at Virtue Cider | Friday Night Flights is a pairing class featuring amazing local people, delicious local foods, and Virtue’s European style ciders all set in the gorgeous surroundings of Virtue Farms.
15. Visit the new exhibition at the Pump House Museum | Then & Now: Snapshots from the Archives explores the stories of Saugatuck and Douglas through the history of photography.
16. Crane’s Cider Fest | $10 entry fee includes drink tickets, live music, local food trucks, cider, a commemorative glass and cider donuts … everything we love about autumn!
17.Tour and taste at Saugatuck Brewing Company | Includes beer samples, an SBC logo’d Pint glass (or Growler), and a full tour of all the facilities … perfection in every pour.
18. Music in the vineyards at Fenn Valley | Held rain or shine, relax and start off your weekend at Fenn Valley enjoying wine, live music, and wonderful scenery.
19. Screen On the Green | Take a trip into the art world as you sit under the stars in beautiful Beery Field. Grab a picnic, a blanket, and enjoy a selection of films whose themes take inspiration from Art on Center. Next up, Girl with a Pearl Earring.
“Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.”
– F. Scott Fitzgerald
20. Glenn area Bike Ride | Leave from Waypost Brewing, ride the idyllic country roads through Glenn, Ganges, and Fennville before returning to Waypost for a well-earned pint.
21. Climb aboard the Star of Saugatuck for Wine on the Water | Sit back, sip, and savor the wine (and views). You will be guided through tastings of each featured wine as you enjoy a 90 minute cruise through Lake Kalamazoo and out to Lake Michigan.
22. Grab a flight of beers and a flight of pizza at The Mitten Brewing Co. | When everything on the menu sounds good, decisions can be difficult. No worries. At The Mitten Brewing you can sample any six of their specialty pizzas, including the weekly special. This feast is all served up on a wooden paddle and can feed four.
23. Failure Lab at the Saugatuck Center for the Arts | Failure Lab comes to Saugatuck! Failure Lab is an international movement showcasing the untold failures behind success. This one-of-a-kind platform integrates storytelling and music to reveal the vulnerabilities of influential people in order to eliminate the fear, stigma and isolation around failure.
24. Friday Farmers Market | An eclectic mix of fresh produce, baked goods, and hand-crafted gifts all located in the parking lot in front of the Saugatuck Center for the Arts.
25. 4th Annual Apple Festival at Virtue Cider | A one-day festival of all things celebrating the apple harvest including a pig-roast by Lillie’s Q, live music and much more.
Reserve Your Indian Summer Wickwood Inn Stay Today
Of course, all of this is within EASY access from the front door of Wickwood Inn! Our location is ideal for all of these things to do in Indian Summer. Everyone loves being in the heart of the historical district of downtown Saugatuck, Michigan. Life. Is. Great. Here! Reserve your Indian Summer getaway right now!