Time To Visit Virtue Cider…Apple Season Is Here!
We love a visit to Virtue Cider ANY time of year. Virtue is open year round, and we are so thankful they plan excellent events … in every season. No matter when you plan your getaway to Wickwood Inn, Virtue Cider is open and introduces you to their amazing array of European style ciders made only from Michigan apples.
For those of you who are new to Virtue Farms & Cider, here’s a bit of background:
- Virtue Cider is owned by Gregory Hall (former brewmaster of Goose Island Brewing) and opened in 2011.
- Hall brought his extensive knowledge and innovative style to Michigan. Our state is one of the finest apple growing states in the country whose climate mimics that of the great European cider making countries, England & France. He launched Virtue in Fennville, Michigan in 2013.
- Using 100% Michigan apples from local farmers, Virtue makes cider the traditional way.
- They hand-press and ferment the apples right in the Fennville cider houses.
- The ciders age in barrels right in the Fennville cider houses.
- Each cider uses only natural ingredients and zero added sugars.
“Give me yesterday’s bread, this day’s flesh, and last year’s cider.”
~ Benjamin Franklin
Virtue’s Local Craft Hard Ciders
Are you thirsty yet? Here’s a bit about some of the amazing ciders that they handcraft at Virtue Cider:
- Michigan Brut | this dry brut is a blend of hand-pressed heirloom apples aged in French oak barrels that features the scent of fresh apples, a touch of oak, and finishes crisp and tart. Our first love at Virtue, and the one we return to again and again.
- Rosé | a blend of hand-pressed heirloom Michigan apples aged in French oak barrels. It is truly cider made like wine with floral notes and a dry, crisp finish. Our new favorite this spring and summer season. Don’t miss the Frosé on tap when you visit!
- Lapinette | This Norman-style cidre brut is fermented with French yeast and patiently aged for months in French oak. Lapinette offers a complex nose of both farm and barrel, with a refreshingly dry, mineral finish. The one we reach for when in the mood for a bit more funk!
- Percheron | This Norman-style blend of last season’s high-acid Michigan apples is aged in French oak and re-fermented with wild yeast. Percheron is finished with fresh pressed apple juice for a touch of sweetness. It’s hard for us to resist the notes of vanilla and the aroma of apple blossom.
“Up until prohibition, an apple grown in America was far less likely to be eaten than to wind up in a barrel of cider.”
~ Michael Pollan
- The Mitten | This Michigan cider is a blend of last season’s pressed apples, aged in Bourbon barrels for up to one year, then back sweetened with this year’s fresh pressed apple juice. Think of this as the the cozy sweater of ciders … comforting every time. We look forward to the annual release party and love sipping it as we sit next to one of the roaring bonfire at Virtue Farms.
- Michigan Apple | semi-dry cider is made from heirloom Michigan apples, then blended with hand-pressed juice from this year’s harvest. The final cider offers the scent of ripe apples, a hint of oak, and a touch of sweetness. Virtue’s flagship cider that’s light and delicious every time we need a little extra sweetness.
- Michigan Cherry | a blend of hand-pressed heirloom Michigan apples and local cherries aged in French oak barrels. The final cider is tart and rich with a touch of sweetness. When a cider can highlight two of our favorite fruits grown right here in Southwest Michigan, crisp apples and juicy cherries, what’s not to love?
- Michigan Honey | an homage to the bees, which are imperative for pollinating the new blossoms on fruit trees in the spring. Fresh apple and honeysuckle aroma, finishing crisp with just a hint of sweetness from local honey. We are happy to help celebrate our pollinators, any time!
Virtue Cider Tasting Room
Of course, we know figuring out your favorite is a challenge, so starting with a flight is a great beginning. Maybe book a guided tasting with a group of friends. Or, allow us to arrange for you a private tasting for two! Your tasting includes two tasting glasses and your choice of a bottle of Virtue’s best.
More To Do At Virtue
And, be sure and visit their calendar of events so you don’t miss out. The events often feature phenomenal live music, artists of all kinds, fantastic local food, games out in the lawn, and roaring outdoor bonfires when the nights grow chill.
No matter when you visit Virtue, be sure and spend some time checking out the farm. The 48-acres are home to an array of animals through the heritage breed rehabilitation program. Hang out with the Gloucestershire Old Spot Pigs, the beautiful Icelandic Sheep, and many types of heritage breed chickens. These animals enjoy daily care in a safe environment and help keep the property trim and the soil healthy. Who knows, you may see a sheep shearing when you visit the farm!
Finally, don’t miss the fantastic loop of trails throughout the property. Enjoy a lovely walk between pints of cider!
Well, are you ready to reserve your getaway to Wickwood Inn and visit Virtue? Don’t delay. Call or reserve online today.